Anzac Services in the Hurunui District - 2017
We gather across the District on 25 April 2017 in remembrance .
Hurunui location and times are listed below.
Hanmer Springs - Dawn Parade 6.15am
- Amberley (Amberley Pavilion) – Parade will assemble at the swimming pool carpark at 10.30am. Service at 11am.
- Cheviot – Parade 10.30am - service 11.00am.
Assemble at the Cenotaph, Seddon Street, assemble 10.25am. Service at Cheviot Area School Hall.
- Hawarden-Waikari: will be held at the Waikari Hall at 10am
- Omihi – wreath laying at the Cenotaph at 9am
- Waipara – wreath laying at the Cenotaph at 10am
Local farm boys, along with their horses, were among the first sent to South Africa, after Richard Seddon offered a contingent of mounted rifles to fight during the Boer War of 1899-1902.
A territorial force that began during the second Maori Wars (1860-66), it was considered an elite unit because only wealthy farmers or their sons could afford to provide their own horse, saddle, weapons and uniforms.