Animal Control | Building | Dogs | NoisePlanning | Roads | Water

Animal Control 


Am I allowed to keep poultry and pigs if I live in an urban area?

Yes, in some circumstances. Please phone Council on 03 314 8816 for the criteria.

Am I allowed to keep rabbits if I live in an urban area?

Yes. These must be confined to the owner’s property at all times.

For more information about animals in urban areas see our Keeping of Animals in Settlement Areas Bylaw (can you please make a link to that bylaw??)

What do I do if I see stock wandering on a local road?

Please phone the Council on 03 314 8816.

What do I do if I see stock wandering on a state highway?

Please phone the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) on 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)

Moving Stock?

Read our Livestock Movement bylaw  Stock Movement permit application  



What age does my dog have to be before is it registered?

Your dog must be registered before it is 3 months old.

When do I register my dog?

All dogs are required to be registered by 1 July each year. Discounted fees only apply until the 1 August each year.  Dogs that are new to the area must be registered within 14 days of moving into the District.

Where do I go to register my dog?

Further information

Can I pay my registration over a period of time?

We prefer dog registration to be paid in full for each dog.  In some circumstances arrangements can be made to pay dog registration by regular payments.

Lost dog

Please contact our Animal Control Officer on 03 314 8816.


What can be done about noise in my neighbourhood?

Generally excessive noise is unacceptable at any time.
Please contact the council 03 314 8816 and we can discuss the options available to you. In some circumstances it may be difficult for you to approach your neighbour, the Council can help you establish contact and in some cases mediate to avoid circumstances becoming aggressive.

The Council can offer advice on possible solutions to all noise but can only act on noise that has been deemed excessive.

What can I do about noise or disturbance from the businesses in my neighbourhood?

There are sound levels set down in the District Plan which define the conditions a business can operate within so that they do not create unreasonable noise.

If you are in doubt, contact the council on 03 314 8816.

What can I do about people street racing or cars speeding in my street?

Any problems relating to people driving dangerously or speeding are a police enforcement matter, the Council has no powers of enforcement over moving vehicles. Supply as much information as possible, such as vehicle description and registration number. A form is available on the New Zealand Police website

My equipment was impounded by noise control officers, how do I get it back?

You will need to ring the Council for information on the procedure to have your equipment returned.

We will hold your equipment if it is seized. The equipment may be returned if we are satisfied that it will not be used to create further noise problems.

Remember there will be fees that will be payable.

How late can my neighbour mow his/her lawn?

There are no set times. Lawn mowing noise is generally acceptable during day time hours but mowing should not be carried out prior to 7.30am.

What time can commercial construction work start/finish?

There is a New Zealand Standard NZS 6803 :1999 which specifies noise levels and times certain activities can be undertaken.

Generally work starting between 7am and 7.30am Monday to Saturday and finishing at 6pm is acceptable providing the noise levels in the standard are met for the living zones.


What is the District Plan?

A document which manages land-use and development within the Hurunui District. It sets out the aims that the community has for the sustainable management of its resources.

Why do I need a resource consent

The District Plan sets out rules which provide a level at which activities can be undertaken without further permission. If an activity does not meet a rule, it does not mean that the activity cannot be undertaken at all, but that you first need to obtain a resource consent from the Council.

What is the zoning of my property?

You can find this information in Section F of the District Plan. General Planning maps are for the rural areas, and if your property is located on one of these maps it is very likely the zoning will be 'General Management'. Urban maps are for the townships, you will need to use the Urban Legend to find out what zone  your property is in.

What is the maximum site coverage I am allowed?

Residential & Residential 1 Zone - 35% Site Coverage
Residential 2 Zone - 40% Site Coverage
Rural Lifestyle - 20% Site Coverage
Claverley Area A - 35% Site Coverage
Claverley Area B - See rule B1.2.1(b) of the District Plan.

What are the building height restrictions? 

Residential, Residential 1 & Residential 2 Zone - 8 metres
Rural Lifestyle - 8.5 metres
Claverley - 8 metres
Claverley Area B - 4.2 metres
Business & Industrial Zone - 9 metres unless the site shares a boundary with a site zoned residential or open space and then it is 8 metres.
General Management Zone (Rural) - 10 metres
Hanmer Springs Old Town Area - 7 metres
Hanmer Springs remainder of residential zone - 7.5 metres
Hanmer Springs Business - 10 metres unless adjoining Residential or Open Space, which is 7.5 metres and 7 metres on the eastern side of Amuri Avenue.

What is a recession plane?

An angle taken from the boundary to determine whether a proposed building will shade a neighbouring property more than is permitted.

What are the building setbacks from boundaries?

Residential, Residential 1 & Residential 2 Zone - 4.5 metres from the front yard and 1.0 metre from all other yards.
Claverley - No building or structure shall be located seaward of the building setback line shown on the development plan contained in Section C5.1.2 of the District Plan
Business & Industrial Zone - No setback is required unless the site adjoins the boundary of a residential zone then a minimum setback of 1 metre is required.
Amberley Business Zone - No setback from the street required if the entrance to the building faces the street, where the entrance does not face the street a minimum of 1 metre setback is required.
General Management Zone (Rural) - 75 metres from a boundary with a strategic or district arterial or collector road and 10 metres from a boundary of any other public road.
Mt Lyford - 5 metres from any boundary

What are the Design Standards for Hanmer Springs?

A Hanmer Springs Design Standards Guide is available which is an overview of the rules in the District Plan. However if you are considering building in Hanmer Springs it is recommended that you read Section B4 of the District Plan which specifies all the Design Standards that need to be met when  building in the Hanmer Basin.


Roads - sealed 

What's the difference between a state highway and a local road?

State highways are those roads that form a nationally strategic purpose in moving people and goods nationwide. State Highway 1, for example, runs the entire length of the country.
State highways are a Crown asset managed by the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) on behalf of central government.
Local roads are those roads that form a regionally strategic purpose in moving people and goods within regions. These roads are managed by local government (approved organisations).
There are 1454 kilometres of local roads in the Hurunui district.

Do trucks wear roads out faster than cars?

Yes. A vehicle weighing two tonnes is 16 times more damaging to the road than a vehicle weighing one tonne. Heavier vehicles pay for this extra wear through higher road user charges.

Are our roads built with speed in mind?

Our roads are not built to accommodate the desire of many people to drive everywhere at high speed, this is because of topography, safety, and finances.
New roads are generally designed for vehicles travelling at the legal speed limit, except where the countryside makes this too expensive to achieve. In that case, the design incorporates features that make it clear to drivers that a lower speed is essential.
The yellow curve advisory speed signs on roads are designed to give drivers enough information to negotiate curves comfortably and safely in all weather conditions.
 “Drive to the conditions, if they change, then reduce your speed – SPEED KILLS”

Why are our roads chipsealed?

Almost without exception, our roads are surfaced using bitumen, not concrete. That's because bitumen:
• is flexible (tolerates reasonable movement without cracking)
• copes with variable temperatures (cold and hot)
• suits lower volumes of traffic
• is less expensive to construct

While some of our high-traffic roads have a smooth asphaltic concrete ('bitumen hotmix') surface, most use a bitumen film with a coating of stones on top, which is called chipseal.
Many other countries, including South Africa, Australia, Canada and the United States, also have extensive networks of chipsealed roads in rural areas.

How can I avoid my windscreen being broken by flying chips from the road?

The best way is to keep to the speed limit displayed on the road. Loose chips will inevitably get thrown up at your windscreen if you travel at speed.

What is asphalt?

Asphalt is a mixture of stones and bitumen. The road surface is actually called asphaltic concrete, because it is like concrete, just not quite as brittle. Most of the roads in New Zealand have only very thin layers of asphaltic concrete on top. They are built mainly out of gravel, compacted down with rollers.
Bitumen is a residue made out of a distillation of the same oil that is used for fuels.

What is chip?

Chip is the name for the small sharp edged rock embedded on the top of the road. In the South Island this rock comes from rivers; in the North Island it mostly comes from quarries. You can make chip only out of very good rock - it has to be strong so it doesn't get slippery after it's been on the road surface for a while.

Why is there variation in chip?

New Zealand has a huge variety of rock. The South Island has river gravels or greywackes that have washed off the surfaces of the Southern Alps into the rivers. This makes excellent sealing chip in the South Island and is why South Island roads are more grey than black because this kind of chip has more quartz in it. Chip used in the North Island uses more pure volcanic materials, such as andesites and basalts so North Island roads are blacker.

Is a road with big chip safer than a smoother road?

What makes a road safe is how much grip (skid resistance) vehicle tyres have on the road. This is a combination of how big the chips are in terms of whether they stick out of the bitumen, and how the surface of the chip looks.
Some of the chips are very, very small, like the relatively soft volcanic andesites. But even though the chip is small it has a high skid resistance. There's no simple rule that 'big chips give you better grip'.
What does matter is the way the road is built. If you keep building a road out of big chips on top of big chips on top of big chips, layer after layer, every 10 to 12 years, then eventually you will probably get a pudding of black bitumen with big stones in it.

What are Special Purpose Roads?

A special purpose road is classified under Section 104 of the Transit New Zealand Act 1989 as a road that:
• caters for a high proportion of tourist traffic
• is of a standard below that currently deemed as being adequate for consideration of state highway status
• passes through an area where the rating potential of the surrounding land is significantly lower than the maintenance costs of the road.

Where is the longest straight road in New Zealand?

The longest section of straight state highway is through Culverden on State Highway 7 in the Hurunui; South Island. It starts just south of the intersection with SH 70 to Kaikoura, and is approximately 13.7km long.

What are engineering lifelines?

Engineering lifelines are essential utility services that support the life of the community.

Traditionally, efforts to manage and maintain engineering lifelines in New Zealand have focused on the effects of hazards from external sources (such as volcanic eruptions, floods, earthquakes, snow and landslides). Increasingly though, technological and man-made hazards must also be taken into account.

To varying degrees there are now lifeline activities in most parts of New Zealand. Typically, activities start out with a lifelines project to identify and quantify hazards in a local area or region, and their likely impact on infrastructure assets. The interdependency between assets is assessed, with mitigation actions proposed and put into action by lifelines utilities. Following the initial project, a lifelines group may be formed for the area to carry out ongoing lifelines activities and maintain awareness and communications across the sectors. Established in 2000, the National Lifelines Coordinating Committee, encourages the establishment of new lifelines projects, promotes best practice, and coordinates communication and liaison between groups and with national agencies. The Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management, in association with the national committee, has produced a best practice guide for lifelines and civil defence emergency management planning, aimed at lifelines groups and utilities.

Transport networks are lifelines, as are water, wastewater, stormwater, electricity, gas and telecommunications networks.
Because all of the other lifelines depend on the road corridor and road structures, such as bridges, to deliver their services, road networks have particular significance. A failure in part of the road network can lead to consequential failures for other services, and make it harder to repair and restore them in an emergency.

Roads - Unsealed 

Why is my metal road not being sealed?

It costs $140,000 to $160,000 to seal a kilometre of metal road. The Council will only commit to this expense where it can attract subsidies from the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) to offset the cost of reconstructing and sealing a metal road.

This subsidy depends on, how much traffic and the variety of traffic that uses the road, the significance of the route, how many people live along it, and the likely dust problem.

In technical terms this is called a calculated Benefit-Cost (BC) and a ratio of 4 or greater is required to qualify. Currently, none of our roads meet the criteria and without a subsidy it is simply more economical to maintain and not seal the road.

If you live along an unsealed road you can, however, ask to have your road frontage sealed.

How do I get a section of road fronting my property sealed?

You need to write to us if you would like to have a seal extended or installed on any section of a legal formed unsealed road in the district. Requests need to meet certain requirements as outlined in our link to Road Seal Extension Policy. (pg. 227 of the LTCCP 2009-2019) (

Can I oil my road to control the dust?

You need to write to us. We generally consider such requests favourably; though you need to appreciate there will be some consequences.


I am out of water!  Can I ask for a quickfill (top up)?

Yes – You can give the water & sewer department a call 24/7 as we have an after hours call centre to request one and discuss your situation.  The charge for this is $500.00 (including GST) during working hours, Monday - Thursday. 
If you require one after normal business hours or on a Friday the cost will be double the standard fee, i.e $1000.00. Give our office a call on 03 3148816

I have found a leak or my toby box is leaking

Give us a call 24/7 to report – one of our staff will be in contact with you either between normal business hours or if a major leak is reported our on-call waterman will contact you directly.

How much to join the water scheme and is water available?

Refer to our fees & charges under Rural Water Schemes.  Please contact our office during normal business hours to discuss this further to see if water is available in your area.  Application forms for township and rural water schemes are available on our website. 

Is the water scheme down?  There is no water going into my tank.

From time to time the water scheme maybe down and you notice no water is going into your tank, give us a call and we can advise you of the current situation.

Am I getting the correct amount of water?

If you think your not getting your correct allocation of water give us a call.  If you have an outlet on the main feed line to your tank you can collect the water in a jug and time it for 48 seconds, you should be receiving 1 litre of water for every 1 unit you received (this is only for the schemes that receive 1800L/24hrs). If you don’t have an outlet, you could collect the water under the ballcock and measure it from here, but you don’t always get a true reading as some water will run down the inside of the tank.

Chlorination of the Hurunui Water scheme 

Is the water I am receiving on a boil water notice?

Refer to our Boil Water notices.

Utility service plans – How can I get these?

Yes, give us a call during normal business hours on 03 314 8816  and we can send these to you by email or you can collect them from our office. or via this website  - Rates and Property check