Refuse and Recycling Collections - week commencing the 2nd April
On week commencing the 2nd April, due to Easter some collection days are changing. Normal collections resume the following week.
|Monday 2nd April||Easter Monday - no collections.|
|Tuesday 3rd April||Gore Bay, Hanmer Springs and Mt Lyford.|
|Wednesday 4th April||
Amberley, Amberley Beach, Leithfield and Leithfield Beach.
Cheviot, Greta Valley, Omihi, Motunau Beach, Scargill and Waipara.
|Thursday 5th April||Culverden, Hawarden, Rotherham, Waiau and Waikari.|
Refuse and Recycling Collections - non holiday weeks
Refuse and recycling is collected weekly using a truck and recycling trailer (dual collections). This is more convenient for service users and helps keep the district tidier.
|Monday Collections||Gore Bay, Hanmer Springs and Mt Lyford.|
|Tuesday Collections||Amberley, Amberley Beach, Leithfield and Leithfield Beach.|
|Wednesday Collections||Cheviot, Greta Valley, Omihi, Motunau Beach, Scargill and Waipara.|
|Thursday Collections||Culverden, Hawarden, Rotherham, Waiau and Waikari.|
There are no collections on public holidays; changes to collections are advertised on council's website and Facebook page, in the News and community newsletters.
Only official Hurunui District Council refuse and recycling bags will be collected. Refuse and recycling not in official Hurunui District Council bags will be stickered and left. Official refuse and recycling bags can be purchased from the following locations.
- Amberley transfer station - 52 Grays Road.
- Amberley Library.
- Amuri, Cheviot and Hanmer Springs service centres.
- Amberley council offices - 66 Carters Road.
- Amberley Four Square.
- Amberley Mobil.
- Cheviot Hardware.
- Culverden Four Square.
- Hanmer Springs Four Square.
- Hawarden Four Square.
- Leithfield Beach Motor Camp.
- Rotherham General Store.
- Waiau Hardware.
- Waikari Auto Services.
- Waipara House and Garden.
Each refuse bag is $2.50 and 50 cents per recycling bag. This fee ensures the cost of the bag, its collection and processing or disposal is covered. Hurunui Council will not collect refuse or recycling in bags provided by or sold by other councils.
Recycling Collections – Guidelines
Via the recycling collections, it is possible to recycle the following, which must be placed loose in an official Hurunui District Council recycling bag.
- Clean newspapers, magazines and telephone directories.
- Clean cardboard, greetings cards, egg boxes and trays.
- Clean office waste paper, junk mail and envelopes.
- Clean food, drink and pet food cans.
- Clean plastic bottles (no lids), plastic containers and carrier bags.
- Clean polypropylene meat trays - only the dimpled polypropylene trays, not polystyrene foam trays.
Bundles of cardboard and newspapers, which will not fit in the recycling bags should be flattened, tied into secure bundles and taken to the transfer stations.
Unless in a recycling bag, cardboard will not be collected from the kerbside.
The following must not be put in the recycling bags.
- Polystyrene and polystyrene meat trays.
- Plastic strapping.
- Clothing and shoes.
- Food or garden waste.
- Glass bottles (these can recycled via Council’s transfer stations for no charge).
Recycling bags must be securely tied and left at the kerbside boundary or official pickup point by 8am on collection day. Bags split prior to the contractors arrival and non official bags, are not the crew’s responsibility to clean up.
In Hanmer Springs only, household glass bottles are collected; these must be placed in a Council provided recycling box. Unless in one of these boxes, glass bottles will not be collected. Please note:
- Boxes containing contaminants (i.e. waste or other recycling) or bottles with lids on will not be collected.
- Boxes containing bottles, which cannot be lifted safely will not be collected.
- Boxes must be left at the kerbside boundary of the property for collection.
- Bottles left in cardboard boxes or a container, which has not been issued by Hurunui District Council will not be collected.
Refuse Collections – Guidelines
Only official Hurunui District Council refuse bags will be collected. These must be left at the kerbside boundary of the property or official pickup point by 8am on collection day. Refuse will not be collected if:
- The bag exceeds the allowable 15kg weight or is not securely tied.
- The bag contains something which could endanger the collector or vehicle e.g. medical or hazardous waste, needles, animal waste, ashes, sharp objects or liquids.
- The bag is full of bottles or contains unwrapped glass.
Bags split prior to the contractors arrival and non official Council bags, are not the crew’s responsibility to clean up.
Rural Refuse and Recycling Collections
Rural householders can use the refuse and / or recycling collection service providing official Hurunui Council refuse and recycling bags are used and the collection guidelines followed.
Unless agreed in advance with Council, official refuse and recycling bags must be left at one of the following drop off points by 8am on collection day only.
- The roadside verge outside Amberley swimming pool
- The junction of Grays Road and Ashworths Road
- The roadside verge opposite Georges Road
- The junction of Purchas Road and State Highway 1
- The roadside verge outside the Amuri Service Centre
- The junction of Long Plantation Road and Culverden Road
- The roadside verge outside Greta Valley Garage
- The roadside verge outside Greta Valley School
- Gemmells Road Corner
- Hassalls Road Corner
- The car park, adjacent to Waikari public toilets
- At Watertrough Corner
- The roadside verge outside Omihi School
- The roadside verge outside Scargill Bowling Club
- At the kerbside - outside Waipara Hall
Note: Only official Hurunui District Council bags will be removed. Anything else will be deemed illegally dumped under the Litter Act (1979), Sections 14 and 15.