Schools and Community Recycling and Waste Minimisation Education Programme
Hurunui Council funds a programme to work with Hurunui schools, pre-schools, community groups and organisations to provide a recycling and waste minimisation education / awareness raising programme.
As part of this programme exciting things are happening, including a new waste and recycling resource pack, which has been delivered to schools and pre-schools recently.
The programme focuses on waste minimisation and recycling and is specific to Hurunui. Through the programme, school pupils, teachers, staff and communities can learn how to:
- Reduce waste at source - home, school and work.
- Re-use and recycle resources.
- Compost all garden and food waste.
- Consume wisely, litter free lunches and making wise purchasing choices.
- How waste and recycling is managed in Hurunui.
- Support the national Love Food, Hate Waste campaign.
Local information is provided including what to place into the recycling bag, the services available at Hurunui's transfer stations and the additional waste management and recycling programmes available.
We are happy to provide:
- Curriculum support and resources for teachers and community groups on recycling and waste minimisation.
- Classroom and group teaching sessions.
- Advice on how to conduct a waste audit to ascertain the amount and quantity of rubbish, which schools produce and provide support to undertake an audit.
- Assistance to establish systems to enable a school wide approach to minimise waste to landfill.
- On-going checks on waste minimisation and recycling systems in schools, pre-schools and community groups to support reduce, re-use and recycling.
- Provide guided tours of the Amberley transfer station for schools, pre-schools and community groups and organisations (by prior arrangement only) or if preferred tours of the closest transfer station can be arranged.
For further details on the recycling and waste minimisation education programme, contact Serina Linton at Hurunui Council on 03 314 8816 or 027 403 6574.