- Locations and Opening Times
- Recycling Outside Transfer Station Opening Hours
- Transfer Station - Recycling
- Green Waste Recycling
- Household Cleanfill - Amberley Transfer Station only
- E-Waste Recycling
- Is there anything not accepted at the Transfer Stations?
- The Safe Management of Asbestos
- Discounted Bokashi Composting Kits and Compost-Zing
All transfer stations are closed on Friday 16th November - Show Day
Amberley - 52 Grays Road.
Out of hours recycling bins for cans, paper, card, glass bottles, plastic bottles and containers are at the gate for when the site closes. Ensure recycling is clean, loose and there are no lids on bottles.
|Cheviot - 91 Seddon Street.||Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - 10am to 1pm.|
|Culverden - 68 St Leonard’s Road.||
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday - 2pm to 4pm.
|637 Hanmer Springs - near the river bridge.||Winter opening hours - 6th May to 31st August.
Out of hours recycling facilities for cans, paper, card, plastic bottles and containers are at the gates.
|Waiau - 116 Rotherham Road North - by the river bridge.||Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - 10am to midday.|
Recycling Outside Transfer Station Hours.
Council provides recycling bins at the locations below.
- Amberley transfer station - 52 Grays Road.
- Hanmer Springs - next to the library.
- Hanmer Springs - by the public toilets on Chisholm Crescent.
- Hanmer Springs - outside the transfer station.
- Culverden - by the public toilets.
- Cheviot - car park to the rear of councils Service Centre.
- Gore Bay - by the public toilets at Old School Reserve.
Via these glass bottles (no lids), clean food and drink cans, newspapers, magazines, greeting cards, telephone directories, junk mail, office waste paper, cardboard, egg boxes and clean plastic bottles (no lids) can be recycled.
Larger volumes and commercial loads of recycling (including glass) should not placed into the recycling bins due to limited space, but delivered to the transfer stations during opening hours.
Transfer Station - Recycling.
It is possible to recycle the following via all transfer stations, unless stated.
- Glass bottles - no lids.
- Food, drink and pet food cans.
- Newspapers, magazines, greeting cards, office waste paper, wrapping (glitter free) paper and telephone directories.
- Cardboard, egg boxes and egg trays.
- Plastic bottles (no lids) and small plastic containers e.g. yogurt pots.
- Dimpled polypropylene meat trays.
- Scrap metal and white goods.
- Car, electric fencing and household batteries.
- Empty gas bottles and fire extinguishers.
- Clothing and shoes - Amberley transfer station only.
- Household cleanfill - Amberley transfer station only.
- Fluorescent lighting tubes and compact light bulbs.
- Green (garden) waste.
- E-waste - including televisions, computers, printers and monitors.
- Child car seats and capsules - excludes polystyrene seats - proof of address in Hurunui required to qualify for subsidy.
- Paint and stains.
- Household, garden, pool and spa chemicals (Amberley transfer station).
- Engine oil (Amberley, Cheviot and Culverden transfer stations).
- Cooking oil (Amberley transfer station).
- Empty, triple rinsed and qualifying agricultural chemical containers (Culverden and Cheviot transfer stations).
Food, drink and pet food cans, plastic bottles, paper and cardboard must be clean and in sacks or bags when put in the recycling containers at Amberley and Hanmer Springs transfer stations.
Cardboard must be flat and tied into secure bundles not exceeding 7kgs to be recycled via Cheviot, Culverden and Waiau transfer stations.
Polystyrene meat trays, plant pots, bale wrap and plastic strapping are NOT recyclable.
Paint can be taken for no charge for re-use; please ask on site.
Green Waste Recycling.
The following green wastes are accepted at the transfer stations.
- Tree branches up to 100 mm thickness and shorter than 2.4 m.
- Shrub and hedge prunings under 100 mm thickness.
- Leaves - Amberley and Cheviot transfer stations only.
- Green vegetative material e.g. perennials, vegetable plants and annuals.
- Pea straw, clean hay, straw. (Amberley and Cheviot transfer stations where green waste is stored in a container).
Old and dried out green waste is not accepted for composting.
Green waste not accepted and charged as general waste includes the following.
- Large branches (over 100 mm thick or longer than 2.4 m).
- Grass clippings.
- Flax and flax flower stalks.
- Whole tussock plants and grasses.
- Cabbage tree leaves and palm fronds.
- Weeds with roots contaminated with soil.
- Soil and compost heaps.
- Material with baling twine/string mixed through it.
- Oxalis and listed noxious weeds.
- Mixed loads of rubbish and garden waste that cannot be sorted.
- Animal manure.
Household Cleanfill - Amberley Transfer Station.
The following materials are all accepted at Amberley transfer station as cleanfill. All cleanfill must be weighed in and is chargeable. An asbestos clearance certification will be required.
For commercial sized loads, please contact Council in advance. There are restrictions on the volumes accepted. Prior contact will minimise the risk of loads being declined.
|Asphalt (cured).||Weathered (cured) asphalt is acceptable. When asphalt is exposed to the elements, the oily surface will go and the asphalt is considered inert.|
|Concrete – un- reinforced.||Inert material. Ensure all other attached materials are removed.|
|Concrete –reinforced.||Reinforced concrete is acceptable providing protruding reinforcing steel is cut off at the concrete face before arriving at the transfer station.|
|Glass - excludes glass bottles.||Inert.|
|Soils, rock, gravel, sand, clay, etc.||Acceptable only if free of contamination.|
|Tiles (clay, concrete or ceramic).||Inert.|
E-waste and televisions are accepted for recycling at all Hurunui transfer stations and needs to remain separate from the other waste and recycling being brought to the transfer station. On arrival, please speak to a staff member.
- Toners and drums must be removed from printers, fax machines and photocopiers.
- Televisions and monitors with broken screens cannot be recycled.
The following are accepted.
|AC adapters and chargers.||Fax machines.||Network, data and slave cables.|
|Apple computers (mac).||Freeview boxes.||PC mother boards and servers.|
|Cell phones and chargers.||Game consoles and controls.||Photocopiers, printers and scanners.|
|CD-roms and floppy drives.||Hard drives.||Power supply leads and three pin plugs.|
|Circuit boards - all grades.||Keyboard / mouse.||Stereos and car stereos.|
|Computer monitors||Kitchen appliances (metal only)||Telecom boards|
|CPU cards and processors||Laptops||Telephones and telephone switches|
|DVD and video players||Memory sticks and modems||Televisions|
Is there anything not accepted at the Transfer Stations?
Commercial volumes of polystyrene (polystyrene limited to a small trailer), medical waste, needles, hazardous waste, ashes, large bundles of wire, commercial volumes of tyres, sealed drums or containers, hardfill, asbestos and tree stumps are not accepted. Contact Council for help disposing of these.
Should wire be brought to the transfer stations, notify staff on arrival, to enable the quantity requiring disposal to be checked and determined if acceptable.
Commercial waste operators, skips and demolition waste is only permitted at Amberley transfer station.
The Safe Management of Asbestos.
Asbestos is not accepted at Hurunui transfer stations. For information on managing, identifying and disposing of asbestos, visit the asbestos aware website.
Discounted Bokashi Composting Kits and Compost-Zing.
There are available at Amberley transfer station for the prices below.
They can also be purchased via Hanmer Springs, Amuri and Cheviot libraries, by ordering, paying in advance and collecting a couple of days later.
|Bokashi Composting Kits.||Discounted Price.|
|10 litre system - starter kit (bucket set and one bag of Compost-Zing).||$38.80|
|15 litre system - starter kit (bucket set and one bag of Compost-Zing).||$41.10|
|Compost-Zing per 1kg bag.||$6.80|